There's a lot to be proud of! Here's our take on some things worth celebrating this month!
Here’s our Top Ten list of “Reasons to be Proud” for this year’s LGBT Pride Month. Our community has accomplished so much that it’s hard to narrow it down to just ten things. But here goes!
10) HRC National -- HRC continues to step up their efforts to support equality across the country and, especially, here in Texas! They keep showing us results that remind us of how important it is for us to support them.
9) Pride is Busting Out All Over -- There are now dozens of Pride Celebrations all over North Texas. From Fort Worth and Dallas to McKinney and Longview, LGBT communities are coming out to mark the occasion! We are out and proud everywhere!
8) DFW Federal Club continues to lead the nation. We were so honored to receive so many awards at the HRC Spring Equality Convention! And being named “BEST Federal Club Committee of the Year” was a real privilege!
7) Businesses across Texas have come out to support our community and to oppose discrimination. Companies including American Airlines, Whole Foods, Apple, SXSW and many others have all pledged to fight discrimination against LGBT people.
6) We defeated more than 20 bad bills in this session of the Texas Legislature. Despite every effort by a majority of legislators to move harmful bills, we succeeded in turning them away.
5) Dallas and Fort Worth both scored great in HRC’s Municipal Equality Index, at 91 and 83, respectively. The places many of us call home are increasingly welcoming to LGBT people.
4) Transgender issues are, more and more, coming out in the open. The unique needs of the transgender community are increasingly being addressed and the heightened visibility of our transgender siblings is something to be truly proud of!
3) Marriage Equality may be just around the corner. It’s all in the hands of the U. S. Supreme Court, but we are optimistic. And nervous. But, mostly, optimistic!
2) Our community. The DFW LGBT Community continues to be amazing. Our ability to come together to support the work that needs to be done for equality is awesome! And we usually have a good time doing it!
And, our number one source of Pride is . . .
1) YOU! Every one of YOU! Each of you is unique and special and deserves to be celebrated. And we hope you are as proud of yourselves as we are of you! Pride month is a time to celebrate each other, to remember all of the sacrifices we have made and to commit ourselves to continuing to make progress! We all have a lot to celebrate!
As always, thanks for your support! And Happy LGBT Pride Month!